miércoles, 3 de marzo de 2004

" Where can I get one of those?"....

Last night, after class, two youngsters came to our dojo. The conversation went something like this:

" Yes?..."

" Hi, we came to know where to get one of those. "

I was a little confused not knowing what he was talking about. Nevertheless, after informing them that the class was already over they kept insisting on their initial question. I was trying all the time to understand what they were refering
about. After a while, noticing that they kept looking at my uniform I asked them:

" A uniform? A judo uniform?".

" No ...one of those."

Finally I got the idea to what they were referring to.

" Oh..., you mean this skirt, well it is called a hakama." And continuing the conversation I asked them: " And... what do you want to do with a hakama?".

" Well...we saw the picture The Last Samurai...and we want one. Besides we also want to do kendo."

I asked: "Do you have a teacher or school already?"

"No....".

I said to them: "I think it would be better, if you first find a teacher or school, and then later ask him if you can use a hakama". Their eyes starred at me somewhat vagely and empty. And after a few long seconds I finally oriented them to a nearby martial arts supply store where they could probably get one.

Will follow....Sensei Myriam